By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to the new
Terms of Service
Fun with fuel cells: Go off the grid, for good
5 Stunning Stats
Drug that skyrocketed 5,000% hasn't come down in price
Fear & Greed
Elon Musk says, 'Yo, I don't hate Apple'
Best In Tech
15 Questions With
Sex, Drugs & Silicon Valley
Just how safe is your new credit card?
Millennials & Money
24 Hours With
My Watch List
Uh oh. Thousands of neighborhood bars have closed
Tesla posts another strong sales quarter
A Gentleman's Guide
1. Why is a bank the safest place to keep your money?
Banks pay interest on most accounts.
Bank deposits are insured by the federal government.
Banks do background checks on employees to insure no one hired has a criminal record.
2. The best way to get the most competitive interest rate on a bank CD or credit card is to:
Call the banks in your area.
Check the bank ads in your local paper.
Ask your current bank to give you the best deal it has.
Compare rates on the Internet.
3. If you take out money from a CD before it reaches maturity you must:
Pay the IRS a penalty, typically 10 percent of the account's value.
Pay the bank a penalty, typically three months' interest.
Pay both the bank and Uncle Sam a penalty of three months' interest.
Forget it. You can't withdraw your money until a CD matures.
4. How often do most banks review and possibly change the interest rates they pay on savings and checking accounts?
5. If you want to get a guaranteed interest rate on a bank deposit for up to five years:
Take out a mortgage from the same bank.
Have at least $ 100,000 on deposit.
Put your money in a certificate of deposit.
Sign up for a money market account.
6. When shopping for the best interest-bearing account, the only way to make a true apples-to-apples comparison is to review each account's:
Minimum required balance
Annual percentage yield
7. The longer you lock up your money in a CD, the higher the interest rate you'll get.
8. There are a lot of ways to get a free checking account. One way that won't work is to:
Have your paycheck deposited directly into your account.
Keep a high minimum balance.
Limit your use of the bank's services to its ATM machines.
Limit your use of the bank's services to its tellers.
9. If you open a credit union checking account, what might you expect:
Higher account fees and lower rates on loans than a commercial bank offers
Higher account fees and higher rates on loans than a commercial bank offers
Lower account fees and higher rates on loans than a commercial bank offers
Lower account fees and lower rates on loans than a commercial bank offers
10. Money market mutual funds are less secure than savings accounts because:
They invest your money in the stock market.
They are not insured by the federal government.
Anyone with your Social Security number can tap your account.
All of the above.
In Lesson 3
Take the test
Top things to know
Pick the right account
Take an interest in interest
Alternatives to traditional bank accounts
Money Essentials Lessons
Making a budget
Basics of banking and saving
Basics of investing
Investing in stocks
Investing in mutual funds
Investing in bonds
Buying a home
Employee stock options
Saving for college
Kids and money
Planning for retirement
Hiring financial help
Buying a car